2020 is right around the corner and smart companies are getting ready now. Yes, it’s important to pay attention to sales and hitting targets here at the end of the year, but it’s also time to plan for the year ahead. If you’re looking to grow your business (and who isn’t!), review and planning are essential.
So without further ado, here’s our 8-point 2020 checklist:
1. 2019 Marketing Review: Take a step back and look at your 2019 marketing program. What worked well and what didn’t? Did you reach your targets? In what ways has the market shifted in the past year, and how does that affect your offering?
2. 2020 Marketing Plan: What are your marketing goals for 2020? Do you need new strategies to achieve your new goals? What tools and tactics will you need to employ? See the next 6 items for the tactics to check.
3. Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Does your website come up on the first page of search results for your name? For your products or services? For your most important search terms? If your business is a local or regional one, does your business have a Google My Business or Bing Local listing and does it accurately reflect your business information?
Recommendation: SEO standing should be reviewed at least quarterly and Local Search should be kept up monthly.
4. Search Engine Marketing (SEM): Review your budget and the ROI from last year. Did your advertising dollars get you the customers you wanted? Did the campaigns deliver the right type of visitors to your website?
Recommendation: Now is the time to audit these campaigns and decide what to add, keep, or cut, as well as what new messages, promotions and platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.) you want to test in 2020.
5. Social Media: How effective is your social media strategy? Are your customers still engaged with your brand on them or is it time to reassess your strategy? Are there platforms that you aren’t using that your competitors are? Are you aware of all the tools on each platform to help businesses engage successfully?
Recommendation: Social Media works best when it’s attended to on a weekly or daily basis, what does your posting calendar look like?
6. Website Conversion: Are you tracking all your traffic to your website? Do you know where your best customers are coming from? Once you get them to your site, are they clicking through to the pages you want them to? Are they converting into customers?
Recommendation: These metrics (and more) are ones that you should be tracking regularly to ensure your website is performing at its best for your company.
7. Website Design: How’s the design of your website holding up? Is it outdated? Is the messaging relevant? Is it easy for users to navigate and find what they need? Is it converting your visitors to buyers (see above)?
Recommendation: The web changes and your site needs to change with it. We recommend a web design refresh every two years for most businesses.
8. Website Maintenance: Backend maintenance is essential to keep your website secure and functioning smoothly. Updates are released continuously for website platforms (WordPress, Shopify, etc) and their plugins and apps, which means maintenance is needed frequently (at least every three months).
Recommendation: Remember to test those updates on your staging server before pushing them live! Just in case of conflicts, you don’t want to break something on your live site.
TheTime Is Now
Year-end always brings a surge of new ideas and new goals. By reviewing what worked and what didn’t in 2019 and laying out a plan for 2020, you’ll have the best chance of achieving your goals in the New Year. Happy planning!
Want help getting it done? Learn about our Level-Up Package designed to help businesses make the most of 2020 and beyond.
If you’re ready to get started now, schedule a no-obligation consultation to discuss your needs.